Sunday, February 11, 2007

The Fate of the Sony PSP... and are Nokia's Smartphone's destined to share the PSP's fate ?






Well... I aint sure if sharing the Sony PSP's fate is a bad thing.

Infact, I'm not even sure if a mobile device can have something we'd call as a fate!

But hey... since I'm here to ramble and rant, let me say what I want to say.

I bought my first Sony PSP in Shanghai, China in April 2005... and went wild with delight each time I played with the PSP... a neat little package, small enough to put in my coat pocket; and yet powerful enough to give most desktop PCs of that time a run for their money and beat them hollow.
(yup!!! that's true, I'd gone there to talk to a game company... and they asked me if the graphics capabilities needed by a game could be handled by NVidia's geforce-2 graphics accelerator cards... and when I said yes, they said "in that case, it can also be handled by Sony's PSP and the game can be possibly ported to the sony PSP")

and it had Wifi capability to boot. The shoeshine boys and kiddie-whizkid automechanics I showed it to; went mad with delight anticipating the day they could buy this neat little gizmo at a fallen price... the way folks can buy out of fashion mobile handsets... but ok; the PSP never made it to the mass market the way we thought it would.

Infact, it never even made it to the mainstream market.

Today, when we use Nokia phones, a person like me goes wild with delight at the processing power... can you imagine ? read a PDF document in bed... while listening to MP3 songs... without paying the price of a laptop;
but ok, will these smartphones go the way of the PSP ? who knows... I for one know of atleast a few things Nokia could do to make the world a easier place for 3rd party developers... not just in Nokia 2nd edition Feature Pack 2 phones (Nokia 2nd ed FP2 *) and Nokia 2nd Edition Feature Pack 3 phones (Nokia 2nd ed FP3 **) but even in Nokia 3rd edition phones like the Nokia 5500 and the Nokia 3250.

What're these features I'm talking about ?
What're the applications I think are not there yet ?

well :-))) watch this space to learn more!!!

And check out http://www.gizmobuddy.com for more on where I see us headed!!!

Footnote: Dont know much about the "2nd edition, 3rd edition..." story... here's a snippet...

* Nokia 2nd Edition FP2 phones- For Example: Nokia 6630 Imaging phone, Nokia 6681 business phone, Nokia 6680 business smartphone, various others...
* Nokia 2nd Edition FP3 phones - For Example: Nokia N72
* Nokia 3rd Edition Phones - For example Nokia 5500 Sportphone , Nokia 3250 Music Phone , Nokia E61

and... coming soon to http://www.gizmobuddy.com is a FAQ "The Dummy's Guide to Nokia Phone Jargon"...

No comments: